We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Consumption of strong opioids: nine deaths from fentanyl in one night
In Vancouver, Canada, nine people died of an overdose of fentanyl in just one night. The drug is used in medicine as a pain reliever. Deaths also occurred in this country. A man from Bremen, for example, apparently died in 2013 because of fentanyl plasters.
Increase in fatal overdoses
University of Michigan scientists recently reported in the journal Pain that a study showed that there was a steady increase in lethal overdoses of opioid pain relievers. One of these remedies is fentanyl. German experts have also denounced the abuse of fentanyl plasters. Some people use the medicine to get high. In Canada, nine people have now died from overdoses in just one night.
Nine drug deaths in a single night
AFP reports that nine people died of an overdose of the drug fentanyl in Vancouver in a single night. The agency relies on Friday's Mayor of the City of Western Canada Gregor Robertson.
"These are hopeless times for Vancouver and it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel if we haven't bottomed yet," Robertson said at a press conference with police and other government officials.
Rapidly increasing abuse of fentanyl
According to police chief Adam Palmer, a total of 160 people had overdose of fentanyl in Vancouver since the end of November. In 2015, there were 67 fatalities due to the synthetic opioid.
According to the information, Canada and the neighboring country USA have been fighting against the rapidly increasing abuse of fentanyl for several months. The drug is highly addictive and is said to be 100 times stronger than morphine.
Pop star Prince died after taking opioid
Just two grams of pure fentanyl - that's about the size of four granules of salt - can be fatal to an adult.
The American singer Prince also died in April after taking Fentanyl. (ad)